Today, we had our first Skype call of the year from Mrs. Lirenman's class in British Columbia. We are both reading Charlotte's Web for the Global Read Aloud. Mrs. Lirenman and I introduced the book to our classes and then our classes shared their predictions with each other via Skype. We have some new students in our class this year, so before we Skyped with Mrs. Lirenman's class, we made an anchor chart titled "Skype Norms"
1. Be still (movement is distracting to the people we are talking to).
2. Speak clearly and loud enough for the guest(s) to hear you.
3. Use attentive listening (eyes, ears and heart on speaker).
4. Raise a quiet hand to answer a question.
5. When speaking on the Skype call, state your name first before you speak.
Our first Skype call went very well, one of the students said, "it was Skypetastic!". We are looking forward to reading chapter 5 of Charlotte's Web on Thursday with Mrs. Lirenman's class as well as 2 other classes via Google Hangout.