- Character education: building resilience, empathy, confidence and wellbeing.
- Citizenship: referencing global knowledge, cultural respect, environmental awareness.
- Communication: getting students to apply their oral work, listening, writing and reading in varied contexts.
- Critical-thinking: designing and managing projects which address specific problems and arrive at solutions using appropriate and diverse tools.
- Collaboration: working in teams so students can learn with/from others.
- Creativity and imagination: to develop qualities like enterprise, leadership, innovation.
In developing this inquiry, we wanted to keep to a theme “Make something in the world better.” This could be:
- In the school
- In the community
- In the world
Emily and the background knowledge we provided our students through read alouds, video and pictures ignited a spark in our students that was contagious. Students began bringing in spare change to send to Emily. They began brainstorming ways they could help Emily and her organization.